The application for incoming high school students for Summer 2022 is now closed. Please check back March 1, 2023 for Summer 2023.
All Blue J’s must be 15 by June 1st in order to volunteer for the summer. There are no exceptions to this age limit.
*Please note that all volunteers must show proof of Covid-19 vaccination(s).*
Summer is approaching fast and I am so glad that you are considering volunteering at the Methodist Hospitals. We have so many wonderful opportunities at our facilities and I am confident you will have a rewarding time here. Please note some important information you need to know –
Orientation dates will be held in June. You must attend orientation prior to volunteering. These are the only dates offered for Blue J’s, so please select one that suits your schedule. Due to limited space, we ask that parents not attend.
Please bring all of these items with you to orientation –
- Signed contract agreeing to work a minimum of 30-hours for the summer
- Application must be filled out (online link)
- Completed Background check 5-30
- Immunization records with proof of two MMR vaccinations, Covid vaccinations, Hepatitis series vaccinations, Varicella verification and TDaP vaccinations
- Report card with passing grades
- Two reference letters from non-related adults who know your character
- Parental TB_Consent form for testing
- $12 for membership dues and Polo shirt, additional shirts are $10 each
Orientation location will be
We will provide TB testing to you free of charge and you may take care of this at your earliest convenience AFTER orientation. The process for testing is listed below –
- Come into Employee Health with a copy of your immunization records, and the parental consent must be signed by a parent or guardian if you are under 18. You will fill out your information card at this time.
- A nurse will administer the TB injection.
- You must return two days later to have the test cleared or have to repeat the test. Employee Health will let Volunteer Services know you are cleared to begin.
Employee Health will only plant TB tests on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. They will not plant a test on Thursday because their office is closed on the weekends. Please ensure that you only come in for the initial test on the days listed above and that you return two days later for clearance. Employee Health is located in the Oak Hills Building on 7711 Louis Pasteur Drive, Suite 105. Their phone number is 210-575-4028 if you have any questions. Their hours are Monday through Friday, from 7am to 3pm.
I will be passing out a schedule at orientation so please have an idea of days that you are available. Standard shifts are 8am-12pm and 12pm-4pm, Monday through Friday only. No weekends are available. You may also work all day if you choose. Please pick two shifts that work for you for now and we can add more as soon as we know how many volunteers are joining us. We have four facilities to choose from – Methodist Hospital, Methodist Hospital | Specialty and Transplant, Methodist Hospital | Texsan and Methodist Hospital | Metropolitan. Junior volunteers are not allowed to work in the Children’s Hospital and I apologize for that. FYI – we always seem to lack junior volunteers Mondays and Fridays, so if you would like to pick those days, that is great! If we fill up at one hospital, we may ask you to volunteer at another of our facilities above if your days are not flexible. Please know we will work with you as best as we can. Summer usually brings us about 100 extra volunteers so we have to have a balanced schedule.
If you have any questions, please email me at Christi.Miller@MHSHealth.com. If you will not be able to volunteer this summer, please email me as soon as possible. I have quite a waiting list!
Thank you for your interest in the Methodist Hospital Blue J volunteer program. I hope that you will have a productive and exciting experience while you are here!
Christi M. Miller
Director Volunteer Services